Thursday, April 10, 2014

What Heroes and Villains Teach Us about Business


As a child I loved watching cartoons staring my favorite super hero. For me the allure of watching every episode religiously was not to see if the hero will save the world, but if the hero will finally realize whom the villain was behind the mask. See, I knew the true identity of the anti-hero. I wanted to see if others would catch on and see the villain for who he really is. As time passed and I grew older I realized that the folks in the cartoon would for one slight moment figure out the true Identity of the scoundrel. Once they did the allure slowing faded as the truth revealed itself.  The cartoon was no longer attractive to me. 



I believe it is important for ALPR OEM’s to focus on the task of creating, developing the best ALPR technology. A technology that makes a difference, creates efficiency in a process and ultimately saves lives. I believe the authentic use of ALPR in Law Enforcement is to make efficient a process that is already in use. The courts have regularly held that police officers are allowed to randomly type license tags into their computer as they pass by. ALPR systems are just a version of that process but on steroids. 



Where I see the industry turning into a dark corner is the blurred lines between law enforcement collected data and civilian collected data. I have a problem when a commercial business has access to the same data law enforcement has access too. When is it right for a repo companies to gain access to the same data local law enforcement has? So, it’s alright for law enforcement to collect license plates for insurance companies, banks, etc.. and then pay to see the data they just collected using tax payers money. Law enforcement tools are meant for law enforcement so is the data they collect.  Law enforcement collected the data they should not be charged to see their own data.




My anti-hero analogy holds very true for many ALPR companies in this day and age. hiding behind a mask anti-heros claim to be one thing but their actions prove to be the latter. "Actions Speak Louder Than Words", hold true for some companies in the ALPR industry.  Disguising the fact that Law enforcement collects the data, then have to turn around and pay to see the data just does not set right with tax payers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment